The USC Trojans were banned from postseason play in each of the last two seasons, but their sanctions continue for the next three years as they lose 10 scholarships per year. But despite the restrictions, USC is still expected to land a strong class on national letter-of-intent day on Wednesday.
With Matt Barkley returning for his senior season, the Trojans are expected to be a preseason top five team in 2012. Among their known commitments for the 2012 class include these Rivals top 100:
- No. 16 Zach Banner, five stars, offensive lineman from Lakewood, Washington
- No. 29 Jordan Simmons, five stars, offensive lineman from Crespi High School in Encino
- No. 40 Jabari Ruffin, four stars, linebacker from Downey
- No. 46 Max Tuerk, four stars, offensive lineman from Santa Margarita
- No. 82 Kevon Seymour, four stars, defensive back from Muir High School in Pasadena
The Trojans are also in the mix for highly rated recruits Leonard Williams, a defensive lineman of Daytona Beach, Florida; Nelson Agholor, wide receiver from Tampa, Florida; Andrus Peat, offensive tackle from Tempe, Arizona;, offensive tackle from San Clemente; Aziz Shittu, defensive end from Atwater; and wide receiver Darreus Rogers.