The Dodgers officially named their 2011 coaching staff today, the first staff under new manager Don Mattingly. The big name is Davey Lopes, who was drafted and played for the Dodgers for a decade and was part of the celebrated infield of Steve Garvey, Lopes, Bill Russell, and Ron Cey, who played together for eight and a half seasons. Lopes will coach first base for the Dodgers, the same position he held with the Phillies for the last four seasons. Other first-year Dodger coaches in 2011 are Tim Wallach, who will coach third base after managing in Triple A the last two years, , the former pinch-hitting specialist who will serve as hitting instructor, and Trey Hillman, the former manager of the Royals who will be Mattingly's bench coach.
"I’m extremely excited about this coaching staff, which has a great combination of experience and youth that will create a positive environment for our team," said Mattingly. "We’ve been able to reach back and bring in a number of coaches with Dodger roots and that’s one of the things that was very important to us. Not just the quality of the people and the experience they bring with them, but the history of this organization – where it came from and where we want to go."
Here is the full 2011 Dodgers coaching staff:
- Dave Hansen – Hitting Instructor (first season)
- Trey Hillman – Bench Coach (first season)
- Rick Honeycutt – Pitching Coach (sixth season)
- Ken Howell – Bullpen Coach (fourth season)
- Davey Lopes – First Base Coach (first season)
- Manny Mota – Coach (32nd season)
- Jeff Pentland – Hitting Coach (fourth season)
- Tim Wallach – Third Base Coach (first season)
- Rob Flippo – Bullpen Catcher (10th season)
- Mike Borzello – Bullpen Catcher (fourth season)
For more Dodgers news and information, be sure to read True Blue LA.