The Baltimore Orioles may have the worst record in the AL, but that doesn't mean the Angels should take them lightly. The last time these two teams met in Anaheim, the Orioles came away with a three game sweep last August 27-29. The Orioles and Angels played a 3-game set in Baltimore earlier this season which saw the Halos take 2 of three. Fortunately 2011 may play out differently for the Oriole/Angel matchup in 2011 as Baltimore has the league's worst road record (18-39), and have lost 20 of their last 25.
Dan Haren will open the series for the Halos, hoping to build on their dramatic, 2-1 walkoff win over the Texas Rangers Thursday night. Haren (12-6, 2.95 ERA) is 1-0 for the month of August, but has been as effective his last two outings, compiling a 3.32 ERA in 21.2 innings. In his last start Aug. 14th in Toronto, the right-hander allowed 3 runs on five hits over seven innings, striking out 5 and walking none. Maybe a home start will do the trick for Haren - in his last five home games he has gone 4-0 with a 2.41.
The Orioles will send Jo-Jo Reyes (6-9, 5.30 ERA) to the hill in place of Jeremy Guthrie, who is suffering shoulder soreness. Reyes recently joined the Oriole rotation after being claimed off of waiver from the Toronto Blue Jays. In two starts for the Orioles, Reyes has gone 1-1 with a 4.22 ERA.
- With his 9th inning single, Torii Hunter extended his current hitting streak to 16 games.
- The Angels are 16-17 since the All-Star break.
- Mark Trumbo is hitting .383 with seven home runs and 17 RBI in his last 16 home games.
- With last night's win, the Angels avoided being swept at home in a 4-game series against the Rangers.
- It was just the third time this season the Halos have won after trailing after seven innings They are now 3-44.
- In 22 games, Scott Downs has not allowed an earned run at home this season. The lowest home ERA for a reliever in Angels history (25 games) is 1.01 by Donnie Moore in 1985.
Who's Hot - Last 14 Days:
Torii Hunter - 19 for his last 49 (.388), 3 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR
Peter Bourjos - 13 for his last 43 (.302), 2 2B, 2 3B, 1 HR
Mark Trumbo - 13 for his last 45 (.289), 3 2B, 2 HR, 6 RBI
J.J. Hardy - 12 for his last 44 (.273),2 2B, 4 HR, 10 RBI
Adam Jones - 15 for his last 51 (.294, 2 2B, 3 HR, 10 RBI
Nick Markakis - 16 for his last 52 (.308), 3 2B, 3 HR, 12 RBI
Who's Cold - Last 14 Days:
Erick Aybar - 4 for his last 47 (.085)
Vernon Wells - 5 for his last 48 (.104)
Jeff Mathis - 1 for his last 15 (.067)
Bobby Wilson - 3 for his last 19 (.158)
Vladimir Guerrero - 10 for his last 46 (.217)
Game time is 7:05pm (PDT) and will be show on Fox Sports West. For more Angels' news, be sure to check out Halos Heaven.