With the 39th pick in the 2011 NHL Draft, the Anaheim Ducks addressed perhaps their biggest team need, drafting goalie John Gibson. The Ducks traded their 22nd pick to Toronto for the 30th and 39th selection in the draft. Arthur at Anaheim Calling described Gibson like so:
Gibson is a big guy at 6'3" and takes up a lot of the net. He is strong positionally and has a good head on his shoulders, very focused. The Ducks got the goalie they needed in the organization. Gibson is going to the University of Michigan in the fall. It's a safe bet he'll be there for a few years before he ever wears a Ducks sweater.
The rest of the Ducks' draft went as follows:
- 2nd round, 53rd overall pick: William Caarlson, C
- 3rd round, 65th: Joseph Cramarossa, C
- 3rd round, 83rd: Andy Welinski, D
- 5th round, 143rd: Max Friberg, LW
- 6th round, 160th: Josh Manson, D
For more Anaheim Ducks news and information, be sure to read the SB Nation blog Anaheim Calling.