The Chinese machine keeps marching on. China is now up to 34 gold medals and 73 overall, with the Chinese marking their dominance mainly with two more individual golds in gymnastics. The USA didn't have a particularly great day in trying to land more medals.
It was actually Great Britain who made some nice strides thanks to success in track cycling, as they've now climbed into a tie for third overall in the medal count with Russia. But the British are now pretty much all alone in third in the gold medal count too.
Here's what the medals look like now.
- China has had 34 golds, 21 silvers and 18 bronzes
- USA now has 30 golds, 19 silvers and 21 bronzes.
- Great Britain now has 22 golds, 13 silvers and 13 bronzes.
- Russia now has 10 golds, 18 silvers, and 20 bronzes.
- Japan now has 2 golds, 13 silvers and 14 bronzes.
Stick with the SB Nation Los Angeles StoryStream for more coverage of local athletes at the 2012 Olympic Games. For more on the 2012 Olympic Games, make sure that you check out SB Nation's dedicated Olympics hub.
Take a look at the video medal count below.