Saturday was Day 8 of the 2012 London Olympic Games, and over the course of the day Team USA had a chance at earning many of the day's 25 gold medals. Rebecca Soni, former USC Trojan, was among the local athletes pursuing Olympic glory. She made the most of it, helping the women's swim team to a gold medal in the 4x100m medley relay event. Serena Williams dominated Maria Sharapova to earn a gold medal in women's singles tennis, and Sarah Hammer of Redondo Beach contributed to the women's cycling pursuit team's silver medal effort.
Serena Williams' win wasn't the only tennis victory on the day; Mike and Bob Bryan collected gold in men's doubles tennis. The women's swim team also wasn't alone in their success; the men's squad picked up a matching gold medal in their version of the 4x100m medley relay.
In women's beach volleyball, Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh-Jennings continued towards a gold medal with a victory over the Netherlands. Team USA men's basketball had a game against Lithuania, and they were almost caught sleeping by their opponents. Trailing late in the fourth quarter, a drive from LeBron James helped secure victory for the Americans. They are now 4-0 in preliminary play.
A full list of the medals won by Team USA on Saturday:
- Women's 100m - Carmelita Jeter, Silver
- Men's long jump - Will Claye, Bronze
- Men's 10,000m - Galen Rupp, Silver
- Women's team pursuit cycling - Silver
- Women's team epee fencing - Bronze
- Men's four rowing - Bronze
- Women's 50m rifle 3 positions shooting - Jamie Lynn Gray, Gold
- Women's 4x100m medley relay swim - Gold
- Men's 4x100m medley relay swim - Gold
- Women's singles tennis - Serena Williams, Gold
- Men's doubles tennis - Mike & Bob Bryan, Gold