You may not be aware of this, but the trophy for the winner of the Kentucky Derby is made of 56 ounces of 14 and 18 carat gold, standing a majestic two feet tall. Now that would make you one very large (and likely very tasty) Mint Julep.
resident alcoholic cocktail expert Matt Ufford has found some perfect recipes for some classic southern cocktails like the Mint Julep, Old Fashioned and Whiskey Smash, all staples of the Kentucky Derby. Check out the video below to see how to make them, along with ingredients you'll need listed below as well.
1. Muddle 3-5 sprigs of mint with simple syrup or sugar (to taste)
2. Add 3 oz. bourbon and crushed ice in layers
3. Garnish with mint
1. Muddle 2-4 pieces lemon, 3-5 sprigs of mint, and simple syrup or sugar to taste
2. Add 2-3 oz. bourbon, stir, and strain (optional)
3. Garnish with mint and/or lemon
1. Mix 1/2 oz. simple syrup with 2 dashes bitters OR Muddle 1 sugar cube in a splash of water and 2 dashes bitters
2. Add 2 oz. bourbon (or rye) with ice, stir
3. Garnish with twist of lemon or orange
For more on the 2012 Kentucky Derby, please check out And Down The Stretch They Come.