The Los Angeles Kings had the inside track for the No. 4 seed in the Western Conference and home ice advantage in the first round, but they lost four of their final six games, including the final two in a home-and-home with the rival Anaheim Ducks. The Kings dropped to the No. 7 seed, and will open the 2011 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs facing the No. 2 seed and Pacific Division champion San Jose Sharks in the first round. Their series begins Thursday night in northern California.
Here is a look back at the previous meetings this season between the Kings (46-30-6) and Sharks (48-25-9). Los Angeles is 3-3 against San Jose this season, with two shootout wins:
- November 15 (at San Jose): Sharks 6, Kings 3
- December 27 (at San Jose): Kings 4, Sharks 0
- January 1 (at Los Angeles): Sharks 1, Kings 0
- January 26 (at Los Angeles): Kings 3, Sharks 2 (shootout)
- March 24 (at Los Angeles): Kings 4, Sharks 3 (shootout)
- April 4 (at San Jose): Sharks 6, Kings 1
The Sharks clinched the Pacific Division at home last Monday with a win over the Kings.
For more news and information on the Kings, or this first-round matchup, be sure to read the SB Nation blog Jewels From The Crown.