clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Dodgers Spring Training: Rain In The Forecast As Dodgers Play Two

The Dodgers have a split squad today, although with pending rain throughout the greater Phoenix area it seems likely that neither game will be played. There is a day game at Camelback Ranch against the Oakland, and a night game against Arizona at the brand new Salt River Fields at Talking Stick in Scottsdale. There is a 25-30% chance of rain at Camelback Ranch from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., and aa 60-70% chance of rain tonight in Scottsdale.

Clayton Kershaw is scheduled to make his fifth start of the spring today, in a nice matchup of young left-handers with Brett Anderson of the A's. Kershaw, who will start opening day against the Giants on March 31 at Dodger Stadium, has one more spring start after today, on Saturday against the Padres at Camelback Ranch. Jonathan Broxton is also scheduled to pitch in that game, which will be back-to-back days for Broxton for the first time this spring.

Mike MacDougal will also pitch the second day of back-to-back games today, as he is scheduled to pitch the night game against the Diamondbacks. Tim Redding, who is battling John Ely for the fifth starter job to start the season, gets the start in that game. But again, the general feeling here in Arizona is that the night game (if not both games) probably will be rained out.

Here are the Dodgers lineups for both games:

vs. Oakland (at Camelback Ranch)

Furcal SS
Gwynn CF
Uribe 3B
Paul LF
Thames 1B
Kapler RF
Barajas C
Velez 2B
Kershaw P

Marcus Thames is getting his first action at first base this spring. He has played 38 innings in left field so far this spring, and also served as designated hitter. Thames started 31 games at first base for the Tigers in 2007, but has only played 11 games at the position in the last three years, including none last season.

at Arizona (in Scottsdale)

Gordon SS
DeJesus 2B
Ethier RF
Kemp CF
Loney 1B
Gibbons LF
Miles 3B
Navarro C
Redding P

In the past week, the Dodgers have trimmed their roster in major league camp considerably. There are now 42 players in major league camp, 21 pitchers and 21 position players, after the following players have been cut in the last seven days:

  • Players on the 40-man (7): Carlos Monasterios, John Lindsey, Jamie Hoffmann, Javy Guerra, Trayvon Robinson, Jon Link, and Russ Mitchell were optioned
  • Non-roster players (7): Wilkin De La Rosa, Dee Gordon, Damaso Espino, JD Closser, Roman Colon, Jerry Sands, and Justin Sellers.

For more Dodgers spring training news and information, be sure to read the SB Nation blog True Blue LA.