The UCLA Bruins had a fantastic weekend, with two blowout wins against the Arizona schools, and are now tied for first place in the Pac-10 with two games left in the regular season. The Bruins closed out the soon-to-be-renovated Pauley Pavilion in style, with John Wooden's great grandson Tyler Trapani scoring the final points. After those two wins, UCLA is poised to rejoin the top 25 in both the AP and ESPN/USA Today college basketball polls for the first time all season.
UCLA was ranked 29th in last week's ESPN/USA Today coaches poll, but only had five points compared to 73 points for the 25th ranked team, Xavier. However, given the impressive nature of the Bruins' two wins, and the performance of the teams directly ahead of UCLA in the poll, the Bruins could easily rejoin the top 25.
Last week's coaches poll:
- 20) Syracuse (won twice)
- 21) Missouri (1-1; lost at Kansas State)
- 22) Kentucky (1-1; lost at Arkansas)
- 23) Utah State (won twice)
- 24) Temple (1-1; lost to No. 1 Duke)
- 25) St. John's (won twice)
- 26) George Mason (won twice)
- 27) Xavier (won twice)
- 28) Washington (lost to Washington State)
- 29) UCLA (2-0; beat No. 10 Arizona)
With four teams ahead of them losing, the Bruins just might move up the four spots they need to rejoin the top 25. For more UCLA hoops news, be sure to read Bruins Nation.