May 30, 2012; Los Angeles, CA, USA; General view of Dodger Stadium before the MLB game between the Milwaukee Brewers and the Los Angeles Dodgers. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee/Image of Sport-US PRESSWIRE
The Los Angeles Dodgers are no longer pursuing Cuban prospect Jorge Soler, according to a report.
According to a report from the New York post, Cuban prospect Jorge Soler is expected to sign with a team before tomorrow. The Los Angeles Dodgers were pursuing the young outfielder, but they are now said to be out of the running.
Jorge Soler is going somewhere, but not to L.A. Dodgers are no longer engaged. Cubs, Yanks, Jays (per @JonHeymanCBS), mystery team?— (Tim Brown) (@TBrownYahoo) June 11, 2012
The Dodgers had previously been reported to be among the more aggressive teams pursuing Soler. The outfielder has drawn comparisons to fellow Cuban defector Yoenis Cespides, but at 20 years old to Cespides' 26, Soler has significantly more developing to do and the Dodgers may have felt the risk outweighed the price they would have to pay. Negotiations can always shake out a lot of different ways, though, so while the Dodgers are said to be out of things at the moment, nothing is ever certain until a deal is signed.